Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lighten the burden of Pesach Cleaning- Harnessing spiritual Will Power


Even the average Jewish person cannot foretell his potential for spiritual feats- the simplest of people would never be a
ble to accomplish any other time during the year what he does during Pesach...This is because the necessity and desire to perform this service now fill his consciousness and willpower and take control of his body. The latter with their free will then channel into his physical system a greater amount of energy.
(To Heal the Soul, Rabbi Kalonymus Kalman Shapira)



With the grace and will of Hashem I was guided to this beautiful quote after having had many such experiences. Even yesterday morning, on Purim, I woke up very exhausted, and felt some anxiety as how to accomplish trying to finish cooking the meal, setting the table, hearing the megila, sending out mishloach manot, cleaning the house, doing some dishes, and attending to my two little ones before the guests arrived, all while feeling a little sick. On the spiritual plane my neshama was hard at work as well, a familiar Purim recurrence, doing its own spiritual preparation...releasing something from a deep place connected with the concept that Hashem did in the past and will again, save us from annhiliation.

Tov, where to start
. After a good healing cry I put my energies into the tasks at hand. It seemed the physical and spiritual disunity of the morning was shifting and I could easily harness it into physical preparation for the meal. It did not stop there. The tiredness vanished and I began to receive more and more light until I felt giddy and high. After sharing my words of Torah where I felt so impassioned to remind my guests and myself what an INCREDIBLE GIFT IT IS TO BE A JEW. My friends even asked what I was drinking ( mango shpritzer of course).

The day after, the high and the light is still here, and my davening feels different. It reminds me exactly of the day of my wedding when I woke up in the morning after having slept only 1 hour, I hought I was going to have to move the wedding. Then too, Hashem gave me Koach through the wedding and beyond, into the whole week of Sheva Brachot. The lesson being if we are doing a Mitzvah or an action aligned with the will of Hashem there will be boundless energy available for it. Sometimes we just need a reminder to tap into it.

May we all keep this in my mind as we head into our Pesach cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment